Thursday, 29 April 2010

Interview With Darin Epsilon: House Music Missionary from Los Angeles

Darin Epsilon’s work can be found on the top record labels in the world. He has received support from Paul Oakenfold, Hernan Cattaneo, Jody Wisternoff, and countless others, and has worked with numerous highprofile artists such as Matthew Dekay, Dresden & Johnston, and Kenneth Thomas. Headliner of numerous parties in different corners of the world flew over the globe to play in Mechanika club April, 10 (Khabarovsk, Russia). We simply couldn’t miss our chance to talk with him!

Glad to introduce Darin Epsilon!

Darin, what is the latest achievement you are proud of?

I’ve been collaborating with a lot of artists recently. I have a remix of Dave Dresden from Gabriel & Dresden coming soon. It will be on his new personal label and my fourth release for this year. I’m also continuing to work on lots of new music, so hopefully I’ll play more around the world, especially in Russia because I love Russia.

What other countries are in your top destinations list?

Mexico and Holland because of the big parties there!

A city you’d love to come play in?

Buenos Aires – they have legendary parties.

And people love your kind of music there!

True. They have the whole culture thing there.

That’s why I was surprised to hear you love to play in Russia – we are less accustomed to dance
music compared to European or US clubbers.

Well, mainstream dance music is becoming quite popular lately. Lady GaGa, Black Eyed Peas, etc. It’s definitely catching on, but it’s not really what I’m about. I’m trying to push my specific sound and my specific message.

Which is…?

… very underground. It’s like the comparison of drinking beer and wine.

So you’re wine?

True, the kind of music that we enjoy is very sophisticated, smart kind of music. So yes, it’s wine.

Do you think people actually realize they’re drinking wine instead of beer?

Some do. And that’s our goal – to keep spreading this music. Believe it or not, it’s almost like a religion thing, we’re almost like missionaries. When you discover tech house and progressive house, you realize it’s like the most beautiful music ever, so we’re trying to push the sound and get the people to follow. I mean this sounds crazy but it’s true.

Who in the scene do you admire the most?

Hernan Cattaneo and Jody Wisternoff. They are doing what I would like to be doing in terms of pushing a specific sound and they are both very nice guys. There are a lot of talented people out there, but it’s rare when these people maintain a professional attitude to all people at all times, and I really respect that.

What’s on your iPod playlist?

Tons of music. I get hundreds of emails from people sending me music. I don’t even have time to listen the music for fun. Before, I would listen to any – ambient, rock, but now I only have time to listen to music I can play in my sets.

Your golden rules for aspiring djs?

Honestly, DJing is a full-time job. Sometimes I spend 12 hours a day, 6 days a week, just working on producing music and marketing myself. The best advice is to work a lot and build your profile. In this field, networking is key. It’s important to know the right people to move your career to the next level.

Is it important to find your sound at the beginning of your career?

The successful DJs that I know have a very specific sound that people recognize them for. When I started, I played any kind of music that was good to me - house, d’n’b, techno. If you want to get to the next level, you should define your sound and have people recognize it and say ‘Oh – I know this DJ!’ It’s all about creating your own brand, so when people hear your name, they know what to expect.

What should people expect to hear from Darin Epsilon?

Hopefully quality, progressive and underground house music.

Source:
www.bestmagazine.ru
interview: Olga Egoraeva

No comments:

Post a Comment